Halloween marks the beginning of the holiday season every year. While children may be excited, this can be a scary time for parents who have to battle their kids to restrict the loads of sugary treats that pile up in the house this time each year. You should know that there are ways to make this a fun and healthy time of year for the entire family. You can start by making sure your family is up-to-date with their dental check-ups. You can make a pre-holiday appointment with Dr. Devlin today. Dr. Devlin proudly serves patients throughout State College, PA including nearby Altoona, Centre Hall and Bellefonte.
State College Dentist: 5 Healthy Halloween Tips
You can try out the following healthy alternatives to better protect your family’s dental health this year:
- Eat Dinner Before Trick Or Treating– If you fill up on a healthy meal you are less likely to go overboard with the sugary treats later.
- Relax the Restrictions Sometimes– It’s ok to allow some treats now and then so that children don’t get the impression that sugary treats are precious, which might make them want them even more.
- Limit Leftovers– If you still have a lot of leftover candy after Halloween, portion out one or two treats at a time and always in combination with a healthy snack or meal. Try donating the rest of the candy to a local charity.
- Try Non Food Treats– Don’t be afraid to branch out and stick up on the non-food treats that children love like low stick necklaces, spider rings, stickers, decorative pencils, stamps, notepads, erasers, balloons, play tattoos or game cards.
- Get Creative– There are many sweet and savory snacks that taste great but are also nutritious like popcorn trail mix and fruits like kiwis, apple slices, mango slices, cherries and blueberries.
State College Dentist Holiday Appointments
Remember that healthy teeth and gums require not only good oral hygiene habits and regular dental check-ups but also choosing healthy and nutritious snacks over the sugar filled foods that can lead to cavities and gum disease. Make this holiday season healthier than any before by making an appointment to see Dr. Devlin today. Dr. Devlin proudly serves families throughout State College, PA including nearby Altoona, Centre Hall and Bellefonte.